Friday, February 19, 2010

Port Davey, Tasmania

As the plane made its final approach parallel to Melaleuca Inlet deep in the south west of Tasmania my American friends were steering the same course below us in their dinghy to meet me.  By the time I had unloaded my gear from the plane and made my way to the small jetty they were motoring towards me waving a warm welcome.  I held aloft the box of wine they asked me to bring.  I didn't realise Americans call a cask of wine a box.  I had 12 bottles in my box!

We made our way 5 miles back down the inlet to where Maamalni, a 52' cutter rig sloop lay at anchor.  A perfect start to a week cruising Tasmania's rugged West coast.  Michael and Suzan have sailed 23,000 miles from Seattle to Alaska and then South America before sailing across the Pacific to Tasmania, Australia.

The week that followed was full of laughter and fun as we slowly made our way northward along the coast with beautiful weather and fair winds to Macquarie Harbour. 

Posted via email from Ian's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment